My husband, Tim, and I decided to work as a team on a rather ambitious project for this day’s “try something new” challenge: to refurbish a mirror unit using old CDs.
The idea had come from a friend who had tagged me in a post on Facebook showing various projects and artwork made using CDs, which I thought looked pretty impressive.
First of all we painted the wood of the mirror unit, having removed the mirror and all the fixings. Whilst that was drying we cut up a selection of old and unwanted CDs. We found that the re-recordable CDs and DVDs we had burned at home worked a lot better than the thicker and sturdier official album CDs.
Cutting CDs is easy enough but then you have to separate the thin metal layer from the plastic, and discard the plastic. This was a little tricky and really quite time consuming.
Once the acrylic paint had dried on the wood it was time to start gluing on the pieces of CDs in a mosaic pattern. We used super glue and tweezers to do this.
This project took four hours in total from start to finish and I was sick to death of it after the first two hours but once I start a project I like to see it through… Tim is a real perfectionist and the bits he was doing looked about a hundred times better than the bits I was doing so we decided to combine our efforts so he cut and placed the pieces of CD and I glued them down…
The unit looks really pretty on the two sides Tim was in charge of (and a horrible mess on the side I was originally in charge of ha ha)… One of our friends fell in love with the finished piece and asked us to give it to her, so we did, and it has been lovingly displayed in her home ever since 🙂