It has been a lot of fun watching Tim become more and more adventurous with using the Instant Pot pressure cooker over the last few months. Last night, he attempted to make Mexican style refried beans for the very first time. They were delicious, and made an excellent accompaniment to our dinner of fajitas.
Watch the video to see Chef Tim in action, or follow the simple recipe below, to make your own refried beans.
- Rinse the beans thoroughly and discard the water.
- Add the oil to the Instant Pot and set to saute. Add the chopped onion and stir until the onion starts to turn golden brown.
- Transfer the beans to the pressure cooker. Add the water, garlic, salt, cumin, oregano, pepper, and chilli.
- Close the instant pot and make sure the pressure lock is sealed.
- Set to manual for 45 minutes.
- Once the beans have finished cooking, leave the Instant Pot to natural release for 20 minutes and then open the pressure vent to release any remaining pressure.
- Drain the beans into a large bowl and set aside the liquid. Mash the beans or alternatively whizz them with a hand blender. Add in some of the liquid until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Taste the beans and add more salt, as needed.