This was a super exciting challenge! Our last house was built with very limited storage space, especially in the upstairs bedrooms. To make the most of the space available, we had a storage bed in one of the bedrooms. That is to say, a bed which has eight drawers and two cupboards built into its base. These drawers and cupboards are fantastically useful and back in 2015 we used them to store everything from bed linen and clothing to makeup and random bits and bobs.
The one failing of this system was the lack of order within the drawers as they are so large that everything got jumbled up together… so I decided that I was going to try my hand at some DIY to make a drawer divider system to help keep things separated and well organised.
Historically, I had demonstrated no aptitude whatsoever for DIY projects, however, I was absolutely determined to make this work – I was motivated out of necessity, you could say.
I still had several rolls of fabric left over from years ago so I picked out one to use as the base colour of the interior of the drawer and dividers, plus a second fabric to use for the trim. Other than that, all that was required was some foamboard, adhesive spray, a measuring tape/ruler, pencil, cutting mat, box cutter, scissors, and black cat for luck and moral support (optional).
The first thing I did was measure the internal length, width and height of the drawers, and carefully sketched onto the foamboard the different pieces: the bottom piece, two shorter sides, two longer sides and some dividers (these were exactly the same measurements as the pieces for the two shorter sides). Then I cut them all out using the box cutter, and made sure each piece fit properly inside the drawer.
Next, I got out my base colour fabric and using my pieces of foamboard as guides, I cut out a piece of fabric to cover one side of the largest cut piece of foamboard (which was going to cover the bottom of the drawer), with about an inch of overhang on all four sides.
For the rest, I cut out pieces of material big enough to cover both sides of each foamboard shape.
Then I measured out and cut 2 inch wide strips to fit the length of each piece (other than the bottom piece which obviously did not require any trim).
After that it was just a matter of using the spray adhesive to glue the fabric to each piece of foamboard, and then repeating the process by gluing on the trim.
And that was it, everything was ready to pop into the drawer!
Two years later, and I am still using these drawer dividers to keep everything organised in the storage bed.
In fact, since making these drawer dividers, my husband and I have utilised our skills to make our own cutlery organisers and desk drawer dividers, using the same method as outlined above, only using vinyl wallpaper samples rather than fabric!