This three bean chilli is one of our favourite slow cooker recipes. We make it almost weekly because it is so delicious, satisfying, healthy and cheap!
We hope you give it a try 🙂
- 115g red kidney beans
- 115g black turtle beans
- 115g pinto beans
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 small fresh chillis
- 1tbsp hot chilli powder
- 1tsp cumin
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1tbsp sugar
Soak the dried beans for at least 12 hours before cooking.
Finely chop the onion, yellow pepper and fresh chilli. Mince the garlic.
Saute the onion, yellow pepper, garlic and chilli in a heavy based pot, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until soft.
Add the hot chilli powder and cumin. Stir for a further minute or two.
Add the drained and rinsed beans. Stir well.
Add all of the vegetable stock.
Bring to the boil and continuw boiling for 15 minutes.
Transfer to slow cooker and cook on slow for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Once cooked, transfer one third to a separate bowl and mash. Return to slow cooker, and stir in sugar.
Serve with freshly baked bread rolls.
Eating Healthy on a Budget
Not only is this a delicious and healthy meal, but it is excellent value for money.
Here’s our cost breakdown:
- Onions x 9 for £0.59 = £0.06/each
- Garlic for £0.20 = £0.01/clove
- Mixed peppers x 3 for £0.93 = £0.31
- Fresh chillis x 4 for £0.60 = £0.15/each
- Vegetable stock cubes x 20 for £2.98 = £0.29/2 cubes
- Dried red kidney beans 500g for £1.35 = £0.31/115g
- Dried pinto beans 500g for £1.12 = £0.25/115g
- Dried black turtle beans 500g for £1.74 = £0.40/115g
- Cumin and hot chilli powder cost is negligible
Total cost of recipe = £1.78
Serves 4 therefore £0.45 per person